Friday 11 March 2016

It's all about you, and it's only about you....



It's all about you, and it's only about you....


This is my first ever attempt at writing anything other than those essays we used to write in our high schools! So please do bear with me :)

This thought has been lingering in my head for quite some time now. Is the Women's day wishes flooding in FB or the Queen movie which has compelled me to take this step of writing it down, I don't know....

The journey of a woman is just spectacular, with so much variety, velocity and veracity (Courtesy-Big data!!). But it is not so easy also. You face a lot of restrictions, separations and segregation all around. I must say, what made me what I am today is my family. My parents, never did they restrict me from anything! I seriously don't remember any case where they forbid me from doing something. Instead they inspired and taught me a lot of things, Daddy taught me to play badminton, amma inspired me to learn basketball (which I cudn't), daddy told me to sing, amma told me to give speeches. Never did they say, 'Oh you can't do this, because you are a girl'! I was surprised when my friends had to think twice or thrice to even decide on going for a class tour! I was never bothered of what anybody else would think of me and hence I felt free........

But that dangerous thought of 'what others would think about you' did grab me along the way.. And I must say, that is one thought which destroys you. It makes you think un-necessarily and restricts the spontaneity in you. Our society is so well crafted that it makes each and every girl have this thought somewhere down the line and if you don't budge, they will label you, humiliate you & judge you until and unless you lose your character and try to be the stereotype. The whole moral code is set in tune with that. So yes, i also did budge. I started bothering about what others would think of me and hence I lost my freedom........

Now when i sit back and think about all that, I feel bad for those days which I lost trying to be someone else whom I am not. All those voices which urged you to fall in line are not anymore around you, not even close to you. They are all far far behind you. If this is how it has all ended up, then why did you even think of listening to those random, insignificant, meaningless voices around you! It struck me that it is never about what opinion others have about you, it's only about what you feel about yourself. Those who are true to you will accept you as it is, others will just drift away and they MUST!

So all the beautiful ladies out there.... Stop trying to be someone else, stop trying to fall in line, stop thinking twice before doing anything you feel strongly about, stop rearranging your priority list and stop being a stereotype!! Be unique, be different and most importantly, be happy!
"I am a Queen, I deserve to be treated as a Queen"
Happy Women's Day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

CAA as a Stand Alone Act

A primary pro-CAA argument has been to consider it as a stand alone Act and NOT couple it with NRC. So let's look at CAA and understand...